Sunday, January 05, 2014

God's Thumbprints on My Life Story--and on Yours

It appears that gloom and doom are taking over the world. We have much to be sad and angry about, (we think,) but in spite of all that, there is a joy to possess.  What I have learned in my over half century of life might help someone else (or at least be a warning to that someone else--a scary warning.)



My goal is to have the last laugh in this world because I know that Jesus said, "In this world you WILL have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33 NIV. I laugh and scoff at strife and hard times.

My story began in Noblesville, Indiana. On that day a blizzard was in progress. My dad was off trying to earn enough to take care of my arrival and my next 20 years by driving a semi-truck loaded with auto parts. My doctor was outside the hospital hunting rabbits, or some such critter, and told the nurse to call him in when it was time (can you imagine? Only if you are old, I suppose.) My mother was busy with her body and first born fighting her from the inside out. She said I was the toughest thing she ever met (I take issue with that,) but always told me I was the most beautiful thing of her entire world. There’s something profound and God-like in that sentiment, if only we would possess it and believe it.

Crystal in Noblesville, Back in the Day


Noblesville has changed dramatically since that day, and  dear Dr. Dillon has gone to a better place (along with both my parents.) I have changed, as well, but there are some things that are sure and true, no matter what. We all have our stories, like all human beings. Each story (each life) begins with God's thumbprints all over him or her. The Psalmist said,"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb, I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 NIV. He's a hands-on kind of God.

If you need a real boost in your worth in the world then read this, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 (NIV)



We had an Aunt Lola who used to say, "Ain't this the life!" not as a question, but a statement. She said this long before, but even during battling cancer and while knowing that she was in the fight of her life. She used up everything God gave to her. Every time I think of her, I think of her smiling face and bald head and I'm thankful that I was able to be a witness--and a participant in this life so I can say with conviction myself--"Ain't this the life!"

No matter what you are going through there is a God who cares and is in control. He has already triumphed for you. He puts His thumbprints all over the place, but where those thumbprints show up the most is on you and me--and in our stories. Tell me a good story. I'll tell you mine.



Where are you seeing God's Thumbprint on your life today? What is He doing for you?  

No comments: